Fine art landscape and abstract painter. Art teaching specializing in drawing skills and painting.
B.A. Biology and Environmental Studies double major at the University of California, Santa Cruz, with a concentration
in Science Illustration. Graduated in 1997.
Cubberley Artist Studio Program, a juried studio residency, overseen by the Palo Alto Arts and Sciences Division City of Palo Alto.
- Retrofit 2.0, group show. TH(e) Gallery, June 24- July 20, 2017, San Francisco, California.
- Terrian, group show, Studio Gallery, San Francisco, May-June 2017.
- Recent Abstractions and Landscapes, Solo Show, Cafe Borrone, October 2016 - November 2016.
- Local Travels and Paintings, Solo show, Cafe Borrone, October 2014 - November 2014.
- Graphite, Inks, and Other Means, Palo Alto City Hall, 2012.
- Bloom, Palo Alto City Hall, 2011.
- The Colorists: Ann McMillan and Peggy Kroll-Roberts, February 2010, Knowlton Gallery, Lodi, California.
- Recent Explorations, Thomas Moser Gallery, October 2008-January 2009, San Francisco, California.
- 97th Annual Gold Medal Juried Exhibition, California Art Club, April-May 2008, Pasadena, California.
- 51st Annual Saratoga Rotary Art Show, May 2008, Saratoga, California.
- Napa Valley Art Festival, May 2008, COPIA, Napa, California.
- Less is More Miniature Show, Laguna Plein Air Painters Association, 2007, Laguna Beach, California.
- Los Gatos Art Association Annual Open Juried Show, 2007, Los Gatos, California.
- 96th Annual Gold Medal Juried Exhibition, California Art Club, April-May 2007, Pasadena, California.
- Peninsula Plein Air, 2006, Filoli Gardens, Woodside, California.
- Annual Exhibit, 2006, Pastel Society of the West Coast, Auburn, California.
- The Best of Plein Air, 2006, Laguna Plein Air Painters Association, Laguna Beach, California.
- 95th Annual Gold Medal Juried Exhibition, California Art Club, April-May 2006, Pasadena, California.
- Salon International 2005. Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art, San Antonio, Texas.
- “Of this Earth: Ten artists depict a changing landscape,” Southwest Art Magazine, February 2012 issue.
- “Back to School: Castilleja alumnae artists return to exhibit their work,” Palo Alto Weekly, April 10, 2008.
- “Artists to Watch,” Southwest Art Magazine, August 2006 issue.
- The Plein Air Scene featured artist, January/February 2004 issue, edited by Sarah Beserra.
- Plein Air New Mexico, ed. Maggie Price, The Jack Richeson Fine Art Series, Vol. 1, Jack Richeson, 2006.
Competitions and Paint-outs
- Sonoma Plein Air 2005-2009, Sonoma, California.
- Napa Valley Art Festival, 2008-2009, Yountville, California.
- Los Gatos Plein Air Paint-out, 2009, Los Gatos, California.
- Scene on the Strait, 2004, 2005 and 2006, Martinez Regional Shoreline, Martinez, California.
- Carmel Art Festival, 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007, Carmel, California.
- Point Reyes Plein Air Paintout, William Lester Gallery, June 2003-2006.
- San Luis Obispo Plein Air Painting Festival, 2003, 2004 and 2006.
- Wakeham-Sutherland Award, Pastel Society of the West Coast, Haggin Museum, 2008, Margot Schulzke, Juror.
- Director’s Choice, Greenwich Workshop Gallery Small Works Show, November 2007, Chris Usher, Juror.
- First Place, 10th Annual International Association of Pastel Societies, March 2007, Duane Wakeham, Juror.
- Honorable Mention, Los Altos Plein Air Paintout, September 2006, George Rivera, Juror.
- The Mr. and Mrs. Bob Suggs Award, Pastels USA , Pastel Society of the West Coast, 2006, Gil Dellinger, Juror.
- Third Place, Pastel Society of the West Coast Member Show, November 2006, Marbo Barnard, Juror.
- First Place, Los Altos Plein Air Paintout, September 2006, Brigitte Curt, Juror.
- Best of Show, Jewel by the Bay Alameda Plein Air paintout, July 2006, Sarah Beserra, Juror.
- Honorable Mention, Central Coast Fine Art Competition, Morro Bay Art Association, July 2006.
- Honorable Mention, Laguna Plein Air Painters Association, Members’ Show, 2006.
- Third Place, Central Coast Fine Art Juried Competition, 2005, Ray Roberts, Juror.
- First Place, Estes Park Plein Air Quick Draw, August, 2005.
- Emerging Artist Award from the editor of Art and Antiques Magazine, Carmel Art Festival Paintout, May, 2003.
Signature Member, Pastel Society of America. 2005-2010.
Artist Member, California Art Club. ca. 2004-present.
Arts Focus Co-Chair, Stevenson PACT Elementary, School years 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.
Co-chaired a committee that oversees a parent participation arts program at Stevenson Elementary in
Mountain View. Defined curriculum, organized volunteers and set strategy and long term planning for the
program. Arts Focus runs a six week session twice a year. Each session consists of six classes of three hours
each. The program usually uses about 80 volunteers for the semester, either staffing the classes, or doing
administration. The two co-chairs lead the program, which duties include staffing, recruiting, checking
curriculum and coordinating with teachers, budgeting and purchases, working with the school to teach to
standards and incorporate the arts into the curriculum.
- Paper Art and Engineering at Stevenson PACT Elementary:
Designed a six week, 18 hour course that explores the artistic and engineering aspects of paper. This is a volunteer class that a team of parents put on for my children’s school art program. The course was out of date when was asked to redesign it with a more experimental and creative class. The course includes units onpaper-making, collage, origami, sculpture, pop-up engineering, and book making. The course runs with 24 students of mixed ages- kinder through fifth grade.
- Painting Beginning and Beyond, Palo Alto Art Center, Winter and Summer quarters, 2015-2017.
Created a class curriculum to teach adult students color theory, composition and painting skills.
- Assembling your Drawing Toolkit, Fall and Spring quarters, 2015-2017.
Established class and developed curriculum to assist all levels of artists in proportional and realistic drawing.
- Meet the Media workshop series for the Palo Alto Art Center.
These adult workshops that introduce new media to the students. The series so far includes sessions high
lighting encaustics, oil paints, pastels, watercolor, mixed media and collage, and acrylic paints. Each workshop
also offers a skills lesson in addition to a materials experience, such as an exercise in composing paintings,
or creating clean colors. 2016-2017.
- Daily Painting Practice:
This workshop series emphasizes direct, alla prima painting style that yields colorful paintings with a simple
method. The purpose of this workshop is to help students paint early and often, creating painting in rapid
succession and learning quickly from each painting. Spring and Fall quarters, 2015-2016.
- Scaling Up Plein Air at the Mendocino Art Center
Annual workshop that emphasizes out to paint large and strong in the big outdoors. Designed and implemented
the curriculum. Offered once a year in the spring.